KATHA UPANISHAD - 29. Swami Advayananda.

Chinmaya Mission 

Control. Regulate. Purify. Bring the mind into the peace and beauty of devotion and calmness. This is true "Sannyas."

- Swami Tapavan Maharaj

.=========================================================================

Friday,  09  Jun,  2023, 07:00.

Chapter 1.Section-1: (29 Mantras) : The story of Nachiketas in the House of Death

(“A Leap Into the Beyond”) :  Bhashyam by Sri Swami Adi Sankaracharya ji.

=========================================================================

Chapter-1, Section-1.

THE THIRD BOON :

Mantram - 1.1.29 : Response 5: “I Stick to My Original Boon”!

Post-29.

=========================================================================

1.1.29: Response 5: “I Stick to My Original Boon”!

1. 

Yasmin idam  =  i) Of that (the existence of the Self) over which 

vichikit-santi mrityo  =  people entertain doubt, O Lord of Death;

2. 

yat saam-paraaye mahati   =  ii) Of that Great Beyond into which we pass

broohi nah tat;  =  – please tell me all about That.

3. 

yah ayam varah   =  The boon I choose is about That Self, the 

goodham anu-pravishtah  =  knowledge of which has become mysterious.

4. 

na anyam tasmaat   =  No boon other than that, therefore,

nachiketaa vrineete.  =  I, Nachiketas, desire to choose.

========================================================================

1-4 Acharyaji gave us a fitting paraphrase of Nachiketas’s final summation :

It is as if he is saying to Yama: “Why do you want me to remain at the lower level? 

Would you not like me to rise up, even if at great odds, and try for that which is really worth 

it among all human endeavours? Of course, you do. So, I will not be tempted – no matter 

how much you try. Do you really think I should be wasting my time just watching Apsaras 

dance before me? Do you not believe that I have other nobler things to do?”

Conclusion on Nachiketas’ Stance :

Nachiketas does not budge from his iron resolve to spurn every temptation placed 

on his path to enlightenment or release from bondage to this world. His is a rare stance 

indeed. It is as if he is saying to Yama, “Why do you want me to change my stand? Do you 

think that I have not thought over this seriously enough? You are quite mistaken. I know 

how rare it is to ask for such a boon – very few are interested in it. Therefore this knowledge 

is not easily available to us on Earth. Knowing that, do you really believe I will waste my 

precious visit to you and ask you for something paltry that is available on earth? You are the 

right Person for me to ask this boon. Hence, this is the only boon I would ask for.”

Rare indeed is a soul of the Nachiketas temperament. He stood firm and beat Yama 

at his own game. Yama would indeed be proud of such a ripe disciple as Nachiketas. Only a 

Guru knows the joy of meeting a perfect disciple. Nachiketas is that perfect disciple to the 

perfect teacher.

Chapter-1, Section-1. Ends

*****

Next

Chapter 1.Section - 2 : ( 25 Mantras ) : THE CHOICE :

To be continued

========================================================================

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUNDAKOPANISHAD : CHAPTER-3. SECTION-2. MANTRAM-4. { "Other means of Self-realisation." }

Mundakopanishad : ( Seven tongues of fire ).Mantram-4.

Tat Tvam Asi – You Are That! – Chandogya Upanishad